Saturday, August 23, 2008

When you just don't have it.

Today was the HOT (heart of Tennessee) 100. The plan was for me to ride 66 miles, but by the first rest stop it was apparent that I just didn't have the energy and stamina to complete a 66 mile ride. So, after discussion with my coaches, Kat and Roger, I opted to take the 33 mile leg instead. By the time I finished (2:25 ride time) it was difficult to walk and I was absolutely exhausted. I think there were 2 reasons for my lack of energy.
1. I only rode twice since my 51+miler 2 weeks ago. 30min of hill sprints, and 60min of the greenway. Not enough to prep me for 66 miles.
2. I spent the last 2 days in Atlanta helping to take care of the precious triplets my best friend, Ginny, gave birth to 3 months ago. Yes, I haven't been down there since they were born. WOW! What a life. They have their hands full, but Maggie, Evie, and Josh are so sweet. They make the work so enjoyable. It was so enjoyable to spend time with the babies. We also got to have dinner just the two of us; we sat outside, enjoyed the beautiful weather and caught up on life. It was great, and definitely worth the trip!! Visit their blog at: http://www.rajandginny.com/blog/.
Next weekend I will give the 60+ mile distance another try at the Clarksville 62 Mile Labor Day Classic.
I'll keep you updated. Please consider contributing to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I am riding to raise money and awareness about blood cancers like my mother was diagnosed with this year. Click on the photo of mom and I to learn how to contribute. THANKS and God bless.

No comments: