Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My fourth and final quarter!

This week I started my last quarter of CRNA school (at least the didactic/classroom part). Once this quarter's over I'll simply work upwards of 50 hrs/week for free until graduation November 2009. It can't come soon enough.

Yesterday I had the rare and joy-filled opportunity to have oral surgery. You see, I was riding my bike at the tender age of 9 and somehow managed to wreck said bike, knock out my front "adult" tooth, and sustain a beauty of a black eye. Since then it was in and out of dentists/periodontists/orthodontists/yada-yada dontists in order to ultimately make me look like I really had a tooth where the previous real tooth lived. As of the age of 16 I have been wearing a Maryland Bridge (I have NO clue why it was named after Maryland. Was he the inventor, did it resemble bridges in the state of Maryland? I have no idea) and about a month ago I noticed it was loose. (Surprise, surprise I was grinding my teeth at night, likely from school stress. For those of you who REALLY know me, this is not a stretch). So, it was time to replace the bridge. If you've never had a post drilled into the front of your mouth and a bone graft to help make it stay, I thoroughly recommend running quickly in the opposite direction should the situation present itself. Needless-to-say I only eat soft mushy stuff, can't brush my top front teeth/gums, take antibiotics and pain-killers every few hours, oh, AND attend classes. Run away! Run far, far away. By the way, the periodontist had to replace my bridge after the implant went in, so I don't even have the appearance of a newer, prettier tooth. BOO.

Hopefully, I will feel well enough in the next few days to run again. I wonder if my dog thinks I'm punishing her for something by not taking her running? Speaking of running, the first group training session (GTS) for the 1/2 marathon training is this coming Saturday. I'm looking forward to meeting my teammates and coaches. They are having a little seminar as well, so that ought to be interesting. I will keep you posted. Remember, to link to my sponsorship site below...Racing to save lives...

Last week I was able to spend vacation at home with my family. I will write more on that later as well. Right now I'm nodding off and should probably sleep. Amanda

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Poor baby! If I were there, I would bring mushy stuff to you in bed.